In 1814, Fort Gratiot was established at the base of Lake Huron and was considered the first Euro-American population in the area. There was an Ojibwa reservation in part of the modern area of Port Huron until 1836. In 1857, Port Huron became an incorporated city. Port Huron's population grew rapidly after the 1850s due in part to a successful shipbuilding and lumber trade. By 1870, Port Huron's population exceeded that of surrounding villages. In 1871, the Supreme Court designated Port Huron as the county seat.
Size & Shape
Mi Port Huron and Fort Gratiot Michigan